Skip to content

Call to Service – Volunteers Required

The following Boards/Committees require able bodied volunteers to assist the town in the following capacity:

(Two Seats open): The Development Review Board (DRB) is a quasi-judicial board responsible for hearing all development review applications, including application for site plan, subdivision, variance, conditional use, administrative zoning appeals and any other review authorized by the Putney Zoning Regulations. The DRB meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, as needed, at the Town Hall; 7:00 pm.

(Three Seats open): The Planning Commission has broad authority to plan for the future needs of the community, which may include but limited to drafting and maintaining a current municipal plan and identifying tools, regulatory and non-regulatory to implement the plan. The Planning Commission solicits public input, weighs options and make policy decisions, some of which will chart the future of the community and which may eventually have the force and effect of law. The Commission must take care to represent all members and interests of the public officials, interest groups, civic groups and citizens. The Planning Commission meets the first Tuesday of the Month, as needed, at the Town Hall; 7:00 pm.

Energy Committee: The Selectboard is seeking a five (5) or seven (7) member committee, with a scope of activities ranging from assessing energy conservation measures for the Town and making recommendations to educating the public on energy conservation.

Equity & Inclusion Committee: The Selectboard is seeking two (2) members on this advisory committee. The Committee is charged with identifying and advising the Selectboard on addressing inequities and encouraging inclusive practices in Town services, programs, human resource practices, and decision-making processes. The goal is to ensure that all residents, Town employees and visitors receive equal treatment and opportunity regardless of but not limited to, race, color, religion, ancestry, familial status, disability, gender identity and gender expression.

CT River Joint Commission Representative (Alternate): Local River Management Advisory Committees (LACs) for each of the state’s designated rivers are a key component of the state Rivers Program. Each committee plays a vital role in protecting not only the river, but its shorelands as well. Ideally at least one resident from each riverfront community along the length of the designated river is appointed to the committee for a three-year term by the Rivers Management Advisory Committee. LAC members represent a broad range of interests and backgrounds. The main responsibilities of the local advisory committee is to develop and implement a local river corridor management plan, and to advise local, state and federal governing bodies and agencies of activities which may affect the water quality or flow of the protected river or segment and its tributary drainage area. NHDES offers the committee technical assistance in developing and implementing the management plan. All LAC members, with the exception of those representing Vermont towns on the Connecticut River sub-committees, must be New Hampshire residents.

Windham Solid Waste Management Alternate Representative: Each town in the District appoints one representative to the Board, as well as an alternate representative. Board members have a number of related responsibilities:
• To attend and participate in Board meetings. The WSWMD Board of Supervisors meets the second Thursday of the month at 7:00 pm. The meetings are held at the WSWMD Conference Room, 327 Old Ferry Road in Brattleboro. (Meeting agendas are sent to town representatives and alternates usually at least one week in advance of the scheduled meeting.)
• As a representative to the board of a municipality serving 18 member towns, to serve the District as a whole, overseeing all aspects of its operation.
• To communicate what is happening at the District level to his or her town officials (generally, this would be the town manager and/or the select board) as necessary.
• To support recycling, solid waste, and household hazardous waste (HHW) education and collection programs sponsored by the District in his or her community, and in so doing support the work of the program coordinator.
• Finally, a representative to the Board of Supervisors is encouraged to participate in one of 2 committees that report to the Board: The Finance Committee and the Personnel/Policy Committee.

If you are interested in serving on one or more committees contact the Town Office at 387.5862 extension 11 or 12.