Guilford, Vt. – Friends of Music at Guilford, now in its 49th year of producing concerts and stage projects in the region, is looking for a few more singers to participate in its A Cappella à la Carte season finale on Saturday, June 13. The Guilford Chamber Singers are being directed for a third season by composer/arranger and instrumentalist Tom Baehr, of Putney, who sings tenor in several regional choirs and choruses. With a nautical theme this June, the Chamber Singers will reprise “Crossing the Bar,” Rani Arbo’s setting of Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s poem. Other pieces new to the group include “Skye Boat Song,” with reference to Bonnie Prince Charlie; “Her Bright Smile” by a Confederate publisher; Baehr’s setting of “Row On,” an old whaling song; the haunting “Grey Funnel Line” by Cyril Tawney; “The Eddystone Light,” a humorous story complete with mermaid; and Vaughan Williams’ “The Dark Eyed Sailor.” One or two other groups with share the hour-long a cappella program. Rehearsals start on Monday, February 23, at 7:00 p.m., in a place to be determined. While fluency in reading music is not necessary, quick learners who can carry a tune and stay on their part are welcome. Interested singers are asked to contact Tom Baehr at (802) 387-2796.
iPutney is a non-profit community news web site. Put your own Putney news and events online by clicking on "Submit Story" or "Add Calendar Event"
Stories by topic
- 3.29.2020 PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT
- Putney Community Nightly Bell Ringing!
- Vt. National Guard to Set Up C19 Testing Site at Landmark College
- Come Grow With Us At The Putney Community Garden
- Putney Foodshelf Open Hours Saturday 3/28 9-10am
- Putney Public Library: All Due Dates Suspended
- Putney Food Coop Curbside Ordering Now Available
- Public Letter from County Legislators re:C19
- Vermont Foodbank Produce Drop: 3/26 at 9:30 am
- 3.19.2020 Public Health Notice